Sunday, March 11, 2012

Weekly shopping 3/11/2012

I failed totally in keeping my total under $200.00.  Not counting cat food and supplements, but including our discount we spent $225.00.  Only 35% of our bill was P6, small, local, cooperative, etc.  Though, the supplements and cat food are mostly to blame there.  This week we bought:

Meat:

Swan Island mussels, wild caught cod, 2 packages of grass fed beef stew meat, 2 packages of bone in center cut pork chops, a smoked ham hock, a package of ground lamb, a pound of bacon, and a package of chicken feta sausages.  The meat subtotal was $74.00  The stew meat and pork chops were on sale.  We have plenty of chicken left over from last week.  The lamb and fish were pretty expensive, but I was really wanting lamb.

Produce:

Cauliflower, red and green bell peppers, a bag of marked down bell peppers that I will roast today and do something interesting with I hope, parsley and a package of "poultry herbs," 2 zucchini, celery, a head of lettuce, fennel, mushrooms, broccoli, 2 leeks, 2 lemons, 2 avocados, a bunch of onions, russet potatoes, yellow potatoes, sweet potatoes, a 5 pound bag of carrots on special, apples, bananas, and oranges.  Only the potatoes, onions, and mushrooms were local, and it's possible the onions were bought by the growers cooperative from out of state.

Dairy:

We had 2 half gallons of milk already, so we bought 3 doz. eggs, cream, 2 things of cream cheese, co-jack, prairie breeze, parmesan, 6 individual yogurts for lunches and snacks, sour cream, babybel cheeses for lunches, and peanut butter.

Other:

We had plenty of rice and masa harina in the house so we only bought polenta, red boat fish sauce (a blogger I like recommended it, so I'll give it a try,) walnuts, and split peas.  I am just realizing I should have bought some tomato product of some sort, I might have to run back.  Actually, we could use honey and greek yogurt too.  I can put that off till next week though.

1 comment:

  1. I like this descussion/breakdown of your purchases. I am aware that I need to do more of this for all the reason you explore. Thanks for motivating me.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete