Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Fish tacos for the win!

My family is pretty luke warm about fish. Because my otherwise vegetarian children will eat it, I am trying to get them to eat fish regularly.  Fewer worries about Omega three fatty acids, vitamin B12, and minerals.  High quality protein isn't bad either.  So we are having a pound and a half of some sort of sustainable fish each week.  I try to dress it up with curry, and it's okay.  But I made fish tacos last night and they were a hit.

Fish Tacos

I cut up a pound and a half of cod into roughly even pieces that looked like they would fit nicely in tacos.  I mixed the juice of a lime, a lemon, a few pressed garlic cloves, a pinch of cumin seeds, a few glugs of olive oil, and two jalapenos sliced into thin rounds.  I tossed the fish with the marinade and covered the bowl and put it in the fridge.

I grated cheese, set out pico de gallo, sour cream, shredded cabbage and put it in a bowl, made guacamole, and made some banana orange and apple fruit salad with cinnamon.  I put small sprouted corn tortillas in a small cast iron skillet with a few drops of water, covered with the lid, and put in the low oven for a bit.

When we were ready to eat I put the fish on a cookie sheet and popped it under the broiler.  I poured the marinade into a small pan and boiled it to kill any germs from the fish.  Always cook a marinade.  After a few minutes I checked the fish and it had given off a lot of liquid so I drained the liquid into the marinade and flipped the fish and cooked it a bit longer.  I boiled the marinade fairly fast to reduce it.  When the fish was done I tasted the marinade and it was great, but really spicy, so I put it in a bowl to have on the side for the 18 and older crowd.

We all made tacos with the corn tortillas, fish, etc.  I only had one, I can only handle one small tortilla.  But I like taco salads so taco meals work fine for me.  Everyone else loved the fish tacos too.  We all had fruit salad for dessert.  From start to finish was only 45 minutes, and I was only working for 15 of those minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment