Monday, February 27, 2012

First Post

Welcome!  My goal in starting this blog is to provide an example of a working mom cooking healthful, delicious, organic, mostly local, homemade food without going broke.  I will post my weekly menu each Sunday when I do my shopping and weekly meal planning, and recipes and photos of the food I make along the way.

Cooking for my family is complicated by several factors.  I was an ethical vegetarian for 30 years.  I was proud of making cutting edge choices about food that were in line with all the dietary research.  I read cooking and health magazines, vegetarian cook books and nutrition books.  My husband's genetically high cholesterol dropped about 100 points when I took over his cooking.  My husband and I raised all three of our children from birth as vegetarians.  A few years ago I developed a number of health issues, including Celiac disease, and pre-diabetes/hyperinsulinemia.  Since I had followed a "healthy whole grain" and low fat vegetarian diet for years I was pretty outraged by my ill health.  As I explored the causes and dietary cures for my health problems I gradually came to believe that meat is necessary for me, perhaps for everyone, and that much of what I believed about nutrition was wrong.

So here we are today: one omnivore with familial hypercholesterolemia, one omnivore with celiac and pre-diabetes, an omnivorous kid with pre-diabetes and familial hypercholesterolemia, and two ethical vegetarian kids with familial hypercholesterolemia, trying to figure out what in the world we can all eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment